Saturday, February 5, 2011

The start of a new journey

     I am starting a blog!  I hope to cover all facets of my life, being honest to what I want to talk about at the moment.  Hopefully the blog will provide some understanding of the legal world and will help to show my legal philosophy while also giving some insight into my personal life and interests.  We'll see.
Saturday mornings for me are usually times to reflect on the week, plan for the weekend, and plot out the next week's schedule.   I am reflecting this week on helping a client this week save several thousand dollars that the client owed to creditors.  Having grown up in areas that may not have had the best economic outlooks, I know and have known some really great people who have problems making ends meat.  Just because you can't buy that fancy house, car, or go on the fancy trip doesn't make you less of a person.  To the contrary as we all know, material distractions can simply clutter up a person's life.  I am always sensitive to budgets and know that legal services are expensive.  So, it always makes me feel great when I can say that not only did I help that person out of the problem they were facing, but I also saved them money, essentially "paying for myself" through the savings.  Obviously, it does not always happen that way, but when it does, like it did this week, I do get a great feeling!

STOP LIGHT CAMERAS SEE DOLLAR SIGNS

     Also in my head this week: stoplight cameras.  Brad Zaun was on the news talking about how he did not support them and that he got a ticket when his son ran a red light because the vehicle was in Brad Zaun's name...thereby punishing Brad Zaun for breaking a law that he did not break with no need to prove that he did.  The Democratic response was that the cameras save lives, make sure laws are followed, but, as an added benefit, also add revenue.  Sorry, let's be honest about this issue.  There would be no cameras if they did not generate revenue and pay for themselves.  Sure, they may make it safer and sure they may cause people to follow the law.  But, think about it: we could put cameras in people's homes and on every street corner and that too would make things safer and insure laws were followed.  Also, if you are punishing the person that did not break the law (i.e. the vehicle owner as opposed to the driver), what crime control are we getting?  Whose behavior are we controlling?  We could lower the speed limit to 20 mph on the interstates and that would make it safer too.  So, let's be honest.  This is a cash cow for the city.  They need not patrol the intersections...saving what would be employment costs, and they still get the money.  I don't consider myself a big Brad Zaun fan, but he is right about this one.  Democrats, get on the right side of this issue, or at least admit that it is about revenue and not about saving lives.  Our laws measure risk with personal freedom and privacy.  These cameras need to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment